A versatile, innovative and aesthethic tent that is light weight while still holding onto all the features you’d expect in a true 2-person, 4 season tent that will see you through the heat of Summer into the depths of a snowy Winter.
First Impressions and Observations:
As soon as I held the Nemo Kunai 2P tent in my hands my first thought was: “Yes! A tent that finally comes in a truly usable stuff sack”. I’m not going to lie, the stuff sacks that come with most tents usual disappoint me. Most times they are nothing more than a basic sack with a draw string to close them at the top.
Nemo has provided, as standard, with the Kunai 2P tent a stuff sack that is not only waterproof, but allows for airspace to be compressed out and it has a glow in the dark map of popular constellations on the inside! Tent manufacturers take note, this is how you impress a camper before they’ve even had a chance to actually look at the tent.
Pitching the Kunai 2P Mountaineering tent is extremely straightforward also. It has two main poles that cross over the main tent body and then an additional brow pole to increase head room at the tent door and provide extra height to the vestibule.
Fully sealed up inside this tent gets warm fast! I can see how the double walled design will make this an amazing tent in Winter. But what about Summer? The venting system to make this a true 4-Season tent, and not just a Winter Tent, is quite remarkable and innovative.
Vents have been installed at both ends of the tent, but more than that, struts have been installed into the fly to allow for the vents to be held open, increasing airflow. Awesome!
Inside the tent there are pockets where you’d need them. A pocket on each side of the tent down low for a phone or wallet and overhead pockets for a headlamp. If you turn your headlamp on and place it in the overhead pocket it diffuses light around the tent.
Space is at a premium inside the tent, but this is understandable as it’s meant as a mountaineering tent which will need to fit onto small ledges or will need to have a level platform chopped out of the snow and ice for it. A bigger footprint is not better up high in the mountains. Still, there is space at the foot of the tent for extra clothes and other essentials.
The vestibule is roomy enough to store backpacks and sharp objects like ice axes as well as your hiking boots.
Overall I was impressed with the Kunai 2P Mountaineering tent. The burly design inspires confidence when heading out in even the gnarliest of conditions. The attention to detail is truly incredible and the weight of 2.1kgs (4lbs 10oz) won’t weigh me down either.
- Light Weight – For a full featured, double walled tent that has been reinforced for use in Winter the trail weight of 2.1kgs is amazing!
- Pitches Fast – Very efficient pitching system. Everything clicks into place quickly and the tent tensions nicely.
- Ventilation – Venting is second to none. Whatever the weather I’d feel confident I could keep the temperature comfortable inside this tent.
- Pegs – The pegs are not the burliest. I didn’t feel confident hammering them into the ground. They need to be used in areas where they can be pushed into the ground without exerting too much force. Admittedly, as it’s a 4-season tent you will likely be using this tent a lot in Winter and using snow stakes instead of the included pegs.
Buy it if:
You are looking for a true all year, 12 month, 4 season tent for camping out on Glaciers in a hurricane to doing a multi-day backpack through forests and coastlines in Summer.
- Trail Weight: 2.1kg / 4lbs 10oz
- Floor Dimensions: 85 in x 51 (footwidth) 42 in / 216 cm x 130 (footwidth) 107 cm
- Floor Area: 27 sq ft / 2.5 sq m
- Color: Skyburst Orange
Website: Nemo Kunai 2P Mountaineering Tent